Thursday 24 April 2014

iMovie: Broadcast Production

For the development of my reality programme I wanted to use a program that would be appropriate to edit my sequences in. I tried other programs such as Movie Maker on the PC and other free programs online but none of them were as effective as iMovie was. This is why I decided that iMovie was the best program to use, because iMovie is a more professional looking editor. Whilst editing my filming I decided to take screenshots of my journey whilst using iMovie, and to show what specific effects I used in the making of the sequence. Coming to a conclusion that iMovie on the MacBook would the best option for my project.
The first aspect covered with the editing was to chose the clips to be edited at first. The clips were on a separate section and I was able to select only the edited clips onto the main project library. Within that section I could select what I wanted to be edited such as the audio (if there was any) or the clip itself. Once I was able to identify what clips I wanted to use within my final sequence I could select them by using the 'Edit' tool (which can be seen to the right, where I have clicked onto it).
As well as that if I wanted clips to be completely precise I could choose if I wanted  to use the precision editor which allowed me to choose clips and edit them in further detail. (Which can be seen to the top of the page).
Once I had edited my clips in great detail and selected them onto the final board for my final sequence, I then decided to choose appropriate sounds for the background of some of the scenes. If I had diegetic sound (talking) then I wouldn't be featuring other sounds or music in the background, that would be used for when I use text and scenes where there is only a picture and no sound. 
I decided to use iTunes which was already a program on this MacBook. I downloaded a music clip which I thought was appropriate for the sequence. I tested different sounds, some that were already on there and wanted to see what sound suited the most to the text and background scene. I finalised with a Kanye West song but because of copyright I only used the background sound and not his actual voice.


This can be seen below where I have chosen a suitable soundtrack as a background to my scenes. As shown, there is my scenes and below shows a green line which states where the sound has been put in. This shows that I have edited the sound to work with my scenes and only feature the sound of the music and not any artist's voice. This music (of the same length as the beginning- 11s or shorter) would be featured in all other sequences where there are no sounds. 

As well as this, I wanted to use some effective effects to combine with the sequence, filming and sounds. I looked at all the effects and tried some of them out, and for most of the scenes I chose to use the 'Cross Dissolve' effect which creates a flowing edit between scenes. As can be seen above; where two scenes are intersected and shows the two scenes together whilst the other scene is being put into action. 

Furthermore, on this program you are given the choice to have a them of the whole project. In which I chose to do so, the options are shown in the above photo to the right, where I chose the photo album theme. I chose to do this because it reflects the family values which my programme is about and shows that the family is the main part of the programme. This would feature several times throughout the sequence, and would show the flow of the scenes together, as well as other effects like 'Cross Dissolve'.
With the text aspect to the sequence I wanted to use simple and small words to create a sense of impact to the audience. To use text I just dragged the 'T' button which is shown above and you are given options of what type of text design you want. I chose to use a gradient background combined with a lighter, bold text (with sound). I then had to edit the text of what words to choose. After you have done that, you can edit the text again. As this is what I did, when I found that the initial words I used were too long, and so I wanted to edit them out for more shorter words.

Lastly, whilst using iMovie which at first I found a struggle but with more practice became easier. I found many effects that I didn't know existed and so found myself trying out a lot of different effects and techniques. Within that I found a 'Green Screen' option where I was given the option to have a green screen when I wanted two images in the same sequence. This provided me with a new effect to the sequence, and potentially made the sequence more interesting and effective.
Overall, I found my experience with iMovie challenging but rewarding. At first I found it very difficult to control what I was doing because it was a new program to me and something very daunting to look at. But when I was able to start the editing within using the precision editor I found it much more useful then when all the clips were just put together, as this was confusing. As I continued to use the program I found that I gained confidence in using the program and that is when I started to try different effects and techniques for my sequence. As I practiced using the program more, I found that I was able to chose the right effects and sounds to use for each sequence. I was then able to create the final sequence with different effects than I was expecting to use. In the end it was a rewarding feeling to be able to of edited a piece of such hard work. Through dedication I was able to finish my sequence and produce a aspiring piece. On evaluation, I decided to change my sound. I evaluated the choice of my music for the background of certain scenes. I chose a less well-known song which is on the similar reality show to mine- Made In Chelsea. Where the song is featured as the background music of some scenes in the show, but more known as Made In Chelsea's intro music. The song has less of a copyright stigma because it is used as Made In Chelsea's introduction music, and so it isn't copyrighted like Kanye West's song Power that I was originally going to use.


No comments:

Post a Comment